Fun Spring Things to Do in Anne Arundel County – Part 2April 22, 2022
The Crab Shack Supports Sustainable CrabbingMay 2, 2022
An aspect of Maryland’s heritage that is dwindling, watermen and their way of life are woven into the Chesapeake Bay’s identity. Their way of life has influenced its culture, economy, and history. Offering a special perspective into an endangered way of life, Watermen Heritage Tours are enlightening experiences that are also enjoyable. These excursions also aid in the preservation of the culture and tradition of the Chesapeake Bay region.
Boating on the Chesapeake with a waterman is a unique experience. The tours can involve crabbing, kayaking, photography, sunset sailing, and skipjack charters, all of them exploring aspects of how it is to enjoy the Bay. Some tours give attendees the opportunity to select the aspects that most interest them including:
- Fish harvesting
- History tours
- Kayak tours
- Oyster hatchery
- Oyster tonging (harvesting)
- Skipjack sailing
- Sustainable seafood and agriculture
Watermen are not on the water the entire day. Tours on land cover the trade of the waterman. Participants will learn about oyster seeding and the soft-shell crab industry. They will have the chance to explore other aspects of the waterman’s livelihood ashore. The following lists the land tours available:
- Captain Charles & Mary Beth Brown offer private tours of an oyster seeding facility.
- Captain Grant Corbin, Sr. offers a peek into the lives of a family of watermen.
- Mark Connolly and Carol Bean will give attendees a glimpse of oyster and fish harvesting as well as sustainable agriculture and seafood.
- Butch & Macy Walters will give participants a step-by-step tour of how a soft-shell crab is harvested and brought to the dining table.
For More Information: Watermen Heritage Tours
Make sure to stop by The Crab Shack for a great meal before or after taking a Watermen Heritage Tour!
Lovers of fat, juicy crab and amazing seafood don’t have to drive to Baltimore, Ocean City, Hooper’s Island, or Annapolis anymore. Stay close to home and enjoy wonderful deliciousness all year around at the two locations below!
Our Crofton branch can accommodate a large party group, so if you are interested in reserving tables, please call (443) 302-2680.